Friday, February 12, 2016

For my last Chinese New Year vacation I spent a week in Japan visiting friends and family, experiencing a new culture, and exploring new and beautiful places. I don't think this trip could have gone any better, even if I had actually taken the time to plan things ahead of time :) I got to see everyone I was hoping to and enjoyed Tokyo and Nagano prefectures, as well as the train ride between. I could write pages and pages about my trip, but instead I'll just make a list of things I loved experiencing on my trip to Japan (though not everything on it is exclusive to Japan).

I loved...

Seeing family, friends, and friends who are like family.

 
 

Great public transportation
Walking
City parks
Sushi making class

Making new friends
Tatami mats
Onsens
Skiing
Fuji apple juice
Snow covered anything (mountains, trees, houses, cars, etc.)


Snow and Onsen loving monkeys


Laughter
History
Japanese language
Soba Tea (and other grain teas)
Mt. Fuji
Australian Accents
Soba
Okonomiyaki

Udon
Sweet potatoes
Chicken wings
Tempura
Ramen
Ice cream with sesame seeds
Nepali cuisine
Miso soup
Real wasabi
Antiques
Architecture


Japanese worship songs
Exploring new places
Convenience stores
Breathtaking views
Ski lifts


Matsumoto Castle


Snow falling on me
Watching a blizzard
Dogs
Children laughing
Selfies and We-fies
Sake


Japanese gardens
Matcha
Rivers and lakes
The God who created it all

Basically, if you ever have a chance to go to Japan, do it. I recommend going to visit friends or family, that's always the best way to see a place. If not, make sure you invest in a good guide for at least some of the time. I highly recommend Daniel Moore as a guide. You can see his guiding business, Travel Nagano, on Facebook. Also, leave time and flexibility in your schedule to make last minute plans. I would love to return to this beautiful country and see more of it someday. Nagano prefecture is definitely one of the best places I can think of anyone wanting to live!!

No comments:

Post a Comment